Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Meme-ries, like the corner of my blog..."













Trust me, you never, ever, ever, ever want to hear me sing. Ever. So we'll just let others do so and if they're really good, perhaps they'll land a record contract, a magazine shoot and a guest spot on Prison Break or whatever these yokels get until they're replaced by the next flavor du jour and end up in a different kind of magazine, the arty, photoshopped images replaced by paparazzi crotch surveillance and police mug shots.

Another meme/not-meme about music? Bloody hell right I don't care that this makes four out of five posts (sort-of) centered on collections of notes. Fuck politics; the rest of you all do it far better than I anyway.

Wait, here's something political: gee, didn't see the 'oh, Holy Joe, all is forgiven' coming. Now that's Change We Can Believe In®, folks. Investigations into Bushy Crime next year? Have It Your My Way®? I'm Lovin' It®!

Here's something that I can actually get angry about and whereas my desire for the above has a zero percent chance of coming true, the elimination of the following from the surface of the planet has about a one-tenth percent chance. Hope springs eternal!


















Look, admin types, burning fossil fuels -- and man, does the exhaust from these things fucking smell -- when all you're doing is loudly kicking up dust and blowing a few leaves off of concrete seems kind of a waste, no? Wouldn't want a bit of nature dirtying up such lovely Brutalist architecture.

"You sure do ramble all over the place."

All part of my plan to keep them fooled into thinking I've got something substantive.

"Ingenious."

One more quick thing. The other 29 professional hoops teams? Just wanted to let you know that someone is putting the proverbial smackdown on a nightly basis.


















"Can you believe that midget won the AL MVP?"

Still no love for the catcher.

"Will you get to the goddamn point?"

Plus I'm a noted meme whore and music is the greatest art form there is. Don't fire me, boss, for my slander against the painterly arts which I also love greatly. So, merci, Hill, for giving me another opportunity to post without thinking.

Don't even think about it, brain.

Wait. Only seven? This is going to take some thinking. Oh, brain?

Rules and Regulations:
1. Post your list of the seven best albums, the seven bloggers you will tag, a copy of these rules, and a link back to this page.
2. Each person tagged will put a URL to their Blogger Album Project post along with a list of the seven best albums in the comment section HERE chez Randal.
3. Feel free to post the “I Contributed to the Blogger Album Project” Award Graphic on your sidebar, along with a link back to
this page.
4. Post a link back to the blogger who tagged you.


Seven? Come the fuck on. Be serious.

In order to make this easier on the noggin, I'm restricting it to underrated and/or unknown rock and/or roll records, limit one per customer, as Beethoven's symphonies alone would constitute five discs, thus defeating the unstated purpose of this meme, which is obviously the corruption of youthful minds such as ours. God Bless America.

"Beethoven isn't underrated, dumbass."

Sure he is. See a statue of the man in downtown Cleveland?

"No."

I rest my case.

Sorry, no Manilow.
1. Skepticism, Lead and Aether.
2. Nicki Jaine, Of Pigeons and Other Curiosities.
3. Hollenthon, Domus Mundi.
4. Mira, Mira.
5. Hexentanz, Nekrocrafte.
6. Antimatter, Lights Out.
7. Thine, A Town Like This.

Suckers who are free to do whatever the hell they want with this thing: Anita (told you!), Non, je ne regrette rien, Freida Bee, Swinebread, Our Juicy Life, DCup, George Bush.

26 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

I want the person who invented the leaf blower to rot in the guts of hell forever. They are the damned loudest pieces of machine shit on the planet.

Whew, now I feel better!

Bruce Anderson said...

here in france...haven't seen a leaf blower. they are so annoying and the gardener just blows your leaves to your neighbors house and then when his gardener comes he blows them back.

AND I was tagged...that makes 2 for me today. I have never heard of any of your favorite albums. I'm so out of the loop. Wait till you see mine, you'll get a good laugh.

Ubermilf said...

You are such a liar.

You know this is your real favorite.

Non Je Ne Regrette Rien said...

alright already, but I already responded to a tag today. so this will take some mulling over. i like the idea of a theme, since otherwise who could pick just 7?

Randal Graves said...

POP, can I get an Ay-men? I hate hate hate hate hate those fucking things. You lazy bastards, RAKE your fucking lawn. Elbow grease!

OJL, I know the rest of the world is taking a bit more Americanization with each passing day, but leaf blowers are simply evil.

Oh no, these aren't my favorite albums, but ones I feel are criminally underrated. Though a couple are on the edge of the top seven. You can't pick only seven!

übermilf, I can't believe you'd betray me like that. Hmph.

JNRR, that's why I altered it. I could probably maybe pick a couple of dozen favorites if various weapons were held to my head, but seven? Inconceivable!

La Belette Rouge said...

Thank you, sweet dear baby Jesus, for not havin' Randal tag me. I think he didn't tag me because he didn't want to hear me go on and on about Morrissey. Is that right, babyJ?

No leaf blowers here, because we have no trees.

Unknown said...

Some communities are creating laws against these fucking blowers...and I think that is a good thing.

Peace and quiet and the whole oil thang demands it.

King James...long live the King!!!

Utah Savage said...

For once I beat you to it. Dcup is mine. Buzz off. Mathman? He's mine too. And what happened to the categories? I had to chose from categories like, Country--I shit you not. Folk, well, okay, maybe, Pop, I don't know what that means anymore. And Soundtrack. Latin. No jazz, no classical, no Rock. Straight-jackets are no threat to me. I've been wearing one all my life. But that you blithely step over your straight-jacket and walk out the door in a hoodie is... is... Well it's not fair.

Joe said...

I was yelling so loudly in approval of your stand on leaf blowers that I nearly forgot to scroll down and get to the meme.

Nice list.

Randal Graves said...

LBR, see, the Super Magical Jesus Baby is lookin' out for you. You're welcome.

No trees? Your town is even more frightening than you portray it to be!

dusty, I see these fuckers - and it's not the stereotypical retirees with 'nothing better to do' - who leaf blow and edge and all this crap, all with motorized, fume-spewing hunks of metal.

Oh, please, LeBron, one title before you leave. Just one.

utah, you don't own these people, I'll tag who I want. From now on, you get tagged with every meme that comes down! Muah!

There aren't categories per se. The original meme is 'your seven favorite albums.' I saw that BE picked by category, and I couldn't narrow it down to seven, so I picked seven that fly below the radar.

I should do a category one. While I wear a hoodie.

bubs, I understand that 18-wheelers vomiting forth black clouds of death pollute more, but fucking hell, RAKE YOUR FUCKING YARD.

The next time the joker across the street breaks his out, I might just blare some Skepticism out of my window. Fucker.

Dean Wormer said...

Speaking of Manilow I heard on the radio this morning he's releasing an album of covered pop tunes from the 80s. Your list may be premature.

anita said...

i think it's funny that we still say "albums" ... seriously, who buys albums any more? i know they make them and there is militant "analog" crowd out there ... but what are they? .0002% of the population?

do generations Y and Z refer to albums or CDs or just plain digital music files?? i wonder.

anyway, i'll get crackin' on this randal, i promise.

Dr. Zaius said...

The best thing to do about leaves is leave them right where they are. That's why they call them leaves. With a little luck, they will all blow into the neighbor's yard. He has room for them, he has already cleaned all of his up.

Anonymous said...

Mine is done, though Utah will probably slap me upside the head for including your tag with hers. It's a risk I'm going to take.

Feel free to come over to point and laugh.

And um, huh, I don't recognize a single anything on your list. I guess I need to move to Cleveland.

Randal Graves said...

dean, only if he does an album like this.

anita, don't get me started on those niche-y bastards. And the bands are the problem! It's bad enough trying to snag a Japan-only track, but now they throw exclusive songs out on 7".

And it'll always be albums to me, you damn kids, get off my lawn!

Do kids even download whole albums anymore, or just individual tracks?

dr.zaius, wow man, that's like, zen. Now if I can only find a way to get all the leaves to clog up the exhaust pipe to his junk race car.

dcup, she is so going to kick your ass. I'm not moving would help as none of these bands are from Cleveland. That said, aside from the heavy metal Satan rock, many fine folks might dig a few of the albums.

KELSO'S NUTS said...

GRAVES: You're going to like my opinion on the "true" AL MVP:

1) GRADY SIZEMORE
2) JOE MAUER
3) A-ROD
4) JUSTIN MORNEAU
5) JOSH HAMILTON
6) NICK MARKAKIS
7) KEVIN YOUKILIS
8) IAN KINSLER
9) JUSTIN PEDROIA
10) MILTON "MR FUN" BRADLEY

NL MVP

1) ALBERT PUJOKS
2) HANLEY RAMIREZ
3) DAVID WRIGHT
4) CHASE UTLEY
5) ADRIAN GONZALEZ
6) CARLOS BELTRAN
7) NATE McLOUTH
8) JOSE REYES
9) LANCE BERKMAN
10)MATT HOLLIDAY

AL CY YOUNG (ring up another one for Freedom Fries Graves!)

1) CLIFF LEE
2) ROY HALLADAY
3) ERVIN SANTANA
4) JON LESTER
5) JOHN DANKS
6) DICE-K
7) JAMIE SHIELDS
8) MIKE MUSSINA
9) ZACK GREINKE
10) JUSTIN DUCHSCHERER

NL CY YOUNG

1) JOHAN SANTANA
2) TIM LINCECUM
3) BRANDON WEBB
4) DAN HAREN
5) COLE HAMELS
6) CC SABATHIA (MIL ONLY)
7) BEN SHEETS
8) RYAN DEMPSTER
9) CHAD BILLINGSLEY
10)JAKE PEAVY

AL ROOKIES

1) EVAN LONGORIA
2) ARMANDO GALARRAGA
3) JOBA CHAMBERLAIN
4) MIKE AVILES
5) DENARD SPAN
6) JACOBY ELLSBURY
7) BRAD ZIEGLER
8) JAMES JOHNSON
9) JOSE ARREDONDO
10) JOEY DEVINE

NL ROOKIES

1) GEOVANY SOTO
2) JOEY VOTTO
3) JAIR JURRGENS
4) HIROKI KURODA
5) JORGE CAMPILLO
6) JOHN LANNAN
7) IAN STEWART
8) MARTIN PRADO
9) JOHN BAKER
10) CHRISTOPHER VOLSTAD

AL RELIEVERS

1) MO
2) K-ROD
3) JOAKIM SORIA
4) JOE NATHAN
5) BOBBY JENKS
6) BRAD ZIEGLER
7) J P HOWELL
8) SCOT SHIELDS
9) SCOTT DOWNS
10) B J RYAN

NL RELIEVERS

1) BRAD LIDGE
2) BRIAN FUENTES
3) CARLOS MARMOL
4) BRIAN WILSON
5) HEATH BELL
6) FRANCISCO CORDERO
7) SALOMON TORRES
8) RYAN FRANKLIN
9) JOHN GRABOW
10) JOSE VALVERDE

DEMOCRATS OF THE YEAR

1) BARACK OBAMA
2) JIM HIMES
3) JEANNE SHAHEEN
4) SHELDON WHITEHOUSE
5) HILLARY CLINTON
6) DANA TITUS
7) ROBERT WEXLER
8) DENNIS KUCINICH
9) JOE BIDEN
10) DEBBIE WASSERMAN-SCHULTZ

REPUBLICANS OF THE YEAR

1) SARAH PALIN
2) RON PAUL
3) ERIC CANTOR
4) JOHN "MANOS-DE-PIEDRA-SESOS-DE-MIERDA" McCAIB
5) NANCY PELOSI
6) ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER
7) ROGER WICKER
8) JOE LIEBERMAN
9) MIKE HUCKABEE
10) DANA PERINO

Billie Greenwood said...

I was going to say what POP said, but--Man, she said it so much better than I ever could have that I'm glad she went first.

Randal, you rock on meme's.

KELSO'S NUTS said...

I'm going to let my baseball and politics list stand in.

Randal Graves said...

BE, they're quite the evil invention, no? Hey, why are we all capitalized now, dammit?

kelso, Grady quietly had a quality year, but did you see that Chase Utley, probably the Phillies' best player, finished FOURTEENTH? Sure, it's probably not as bad as Palmeiro winning that Gold Glove after playing only 28 games in the field, but jeez!

KELSO'S NUTS said...

Aww, fuck it, you had "las agallas" to back me up on my anti-"DL" Hughley post: here goes

(1) Johnny Thunders And The Heartbreakers Live At Max's Kansas City

(2) Journey's Greatest Hits

(3) X-Ray Spex "Germ Free Adolescents"

(4) The Gun Club "Fire Of Love"

(5) Pimpadelic "Reb De Ville"

(6) Townes Van Zandt "Live And Obscure"

(7) Linda Rondstadt "Greatest Hits Vol I"

(8) Wreckless Eric "Whole Wide World"

(9) The Only Ones "Special View"

(10) Paris "Sleeping With The Enemy"

Randal Graves said...

kelso, ha! I knew I'd get you to eventually spit out some tunes you dig. Some of these I've heard, heard of but haven't heard, like that Gun Club. That's some good stuff, this punky blues kind of thing. I could dig that.

Dean Wormer said...

Manilow and Boone ARE heavy metal.

KELSO'S NUTS said...

If it hadn't been pop, ruck, metal, punk, or rap, I'd have put down CHARLES TRENET!

Anonymous said...

What? No Metallica? No Manilow, I can understand. Or did I miss something in this list?

Randal Graves said...

dean, heaviest album ever. \^^/ Metal!

kelso, Boum!

spartacus, I decided to do a list of underrated/unknown records instead. Now if it had been my all-timers, bien sûr some Metallica!

Freida Bee said...

Only four score minus 3.97 score years later ahe replies, in the third person, challenging your assertion that this is not a real post.